Connect with us


Illinois boy paralyzed in Highland Park mass shooting ‘still fighting’ after collapsed lung, infection: family

8-year-old Cooper Roberts, who was left paralyzed after the Highland Park mass shooting at a Fourth of July parade in Illinois, is in critical condition after undergoing urgent surgery.



An 8-year-old kid who was paralyzed following the July 4th mass shooting in Highland Park, Illinois, has suffered a setback and is now in critical condition, but his family claimed he is “still battling.”

According to a family representative, Cooper Roberts underwent emergency surgery after physicians found an infection that could be linked to a tear in his esophagus.

“The leak was located and sealed by the medical professionals. Cooper is still battling, so this is a win! His status is being continuously watched, and it will be crucial in the coming days to make sure he responds favorably “Anthony Loizzi, a family spokesman, said on Tuesday.

After being struck directly by a gunshot that destroyed his spine, the young youngster underwent early treatment. He afterwards experienced a collapsed lung and was rushed to the hospital where he was put on a ventilator.


Awake from Chicago parade attack, searching for his twin brother

In a statement over the weekend, Loizzi said, “He is in a great deal of agony – physically and mentally – especially as the family had to break the heartbreaking news to him that he is paralyzed from the waist down.”

The family representative stated that Cooper’s condition had unexpectedly deteriorated prior to Tuesday’s procedure.

Prior to the procedure, Loizzi stated that Cooper was experiencing a fever spike and an accelerated heart rate as a result of a recent infection that was being treated with medicine. As a result, he will need an urgent, difficult, and time-consuming surgery today to try to heal his ripped esophagus.


Community members hold a candlelight vigil for the victims of the July 4 shooting in Illinois.

Cooper reportedly inquired about his twin brother Luke, 8, who was also hurt in the shooting at the holiday parade last week when he first awoke in the hospital.

According to WMAQ-TV, Luke was injured by shrapnel and is now recovering at home.

Mother of the twins and superintendent of Zion Elementary School District 6 Keely Roberts was wounded twice in the leg and required many operations, according to WMAQ-TV. She was later discharged from the hospital.


She “told her doctors and nurses that they should either discharge or she’d walk out on her own because she needed to be with her son,” Loizzi said. “Quite simply, she probably shouldn’t have been freed.”


“Everyone in their circle has experienced intense emotions during this period. Additionally, Keely is just a fighter if you know her. Cooper seems to have inherited that trait from her because he is doing everything in his power to battle “Loizzi tacked on.

On the family’s GoFundMe page, more than $1.4 million has been raised.


The solicitation says: “Cooper suffered a spinal cord injury. His condition has been upgraded to serious after he underwent numerous procedures. He will, however, be paralyzed from the waist down, according to the medical professionals.”

“He has been in and out of consciousness, but the extreme agony necessitates ongoing sedation. Cooper keeps up the struggle as best he can. We anticipate that their medical expenses, therapy costs, equipment costs, and housing modifications will all be substantial “It adds. Please keep the Roberts family in your prayers and thoughts.

At Comer Children’s Hospital in Chicago, Cooper is receiving medical attention.

The shooting on July 4th claimed the lives of seven persons.